That sunshine pouring through your windows? That’s the first sign that winter in Texas is nearly over. With all the extra time you’re spending at home, consider devoting a day to spring cleaning!
Not only will you gain a sparkling clean space, but you’ll keep your hands busy and clear your mind – something we all could benefit from now. Below, we’ve put together a handy home cleaning list to help you gain a spotless home this weekend.
Take Stock of Your Supply Cupboard
Before you begin, go into your cupboard and take inventory of what supplies you have. While you may be running low on a few essential supplies, many products can pull double duty to save you a trip to the store. Here’s a list of cleaning alternatives:
- Vinegar: Use this pantry staple as your all-purpose cleaner, targeting countertops, windows, appliances, and more. Add a couple of drops of essential oils to make things smell fresh and clean.
- Strong black tea: A great alternative to floor cleaners, tea cleans without leaving toxic residue.
- Cornstarch: Use this highly absorbent powder to tackle deep carpet stains. Simply rub in the cornstarch, wait five minutes, and then vacuum away the rest.
- Baking soda: This abrasive powder is perfect for scouring toilets and showers, as well as dingy or dirty cookware.
- Reusable cloths: Running out of cleaning cloths? Cut up an old t-shirt or two to create eco-friendly rags.
Declutter Your Home
Before you can start a deep clean of your home, you have to put away the clutter that has probably accumulated over the cold months. Studies have shown that disposing of unused items and reorganizing misplaced items can boost your confidence and productivity while reducing anxiety (so decluttering isn’t just great for your home, it’s good for you, too!). Here’s a quick list to help you get started:
- Find and file or recycle all loose papers
- Check expiration dates on items in the fridge and pantry and toss outdated or unwanted items
- Find dishes and small appliances in the kitchen cabinets that can be donated
- Reorganize misplaced items in kitchen drawers
- Take quick stock of your toiletries and toss anything you no longer use
- Throw out old meds in the medicine cabinet
- Donate clothing items that you never wear
- Clean up office supplies and go through files for what can be thrown out
- Put away items that have strayed into the living room
- Clear the coffee table of toys and books that are not being read
- Condense and organize unruly wires to make them more visually appealing
- Check under beds and in closets for any stored items you no longer need
Brighten Your Home
A spring clean has the wonderful ability to make the inside of your house brighter, creating an all-around more cheerful place to live. After decluttering, get to work cleaning the spaces you use daily:
- Vacuum or sweep hardwood floors and tiles
- Follow up with a thorough mop to remove dirt and grime
- Use a toothbrush to hit the hard-to-reach areas
- Vacuum all carpets and rugs
- Consider renting a steam cleaner to give your carpets a deeper clean (especially if you have pets or kids at home)
- Clean windows (glass and screen)
- Clean all bathrooms, including toilets and showers or bathtubs
Freshen Up Your Home
After cleaning, take time to also freshen the areas of your home that can lead to unpleasant odors when neglected. Usher the fresh spring air inside and:
- Bring in some freshly cut flowers
- Sprinkle baking soda on couches before vacuuming them
- Wash dirty towels with scented fabric softener
- Scrub the inside of your trash cans
- Clean your garbage disposal with several lemon wedges and a sprinkle of baking soda
Make Your Home Healthier
A cleaner home is a healthier home. After removing clutter and dirt, sanitize regularly used items to improve the health of you and your family.
- Sanitize handheld devices like remotes and doorknobs
- Dust neglected surfaces like the top of ceiling fan blades, underneath furniture, and the outsides of lamp shades
- Wash air duct vents with soapy water
- Wash your mattress covers in very hot water
- Check the health of batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
Make it Enjoyable
A day spent handling the dirt and grime that has built up around your home doesn’t have to be a drag. You should be excited to have a house that feels brand new! Here are some ways that you can elevate the entire spring cleaning experience:
- Clean as a family and have a contest to see who can find the most to donate
- Listen to music or an interesting podcast to pass the time
- Put a favorite movie on in the background that you haven’t seen in a while
- Take before and after pictures of every room to enjoy the results
- Put up any spring decor to kickstart the new season
Don’t put off a thorough spring clean; as we all hunker down at home, having a cleaner, healthier space can lift your mood like nothing else. Using this handy list, you are just one weekend away from a bright, fresh, healthy, and happy spring home!